A Positive Approach to Puberty
Dynamo Girl empowers families to approach puberty as a positive and exciting part of their children’s lives. Our workshops help girls and boys understand their changing bodies and provide parents with the information and skills they need to support their children throughout puberty.
Workshops for Families
- We run simultaneous sessions for kids and parents
- Overview of girls’ anatomy, physiology and emotional development during puberty.
- Overview of boys’ anatomy, physiology and emotional development during puberty.
- Tools for girls and boys to manage the physical and emotional changes they are experiencing during puberty.
- Unpacking of parents’ own experiences in puberty.
- Tools for parents to support their children and constructively engage in issues that arise during puberty.
- Consent: how to empower children to define their boundaries and respect the boundaries of others.
Parents Only Seminars
- Guided sessions helping parents unpack their own experiences in puberty.
- Overview of girls’ and boys’ puberty — anatomical, physiological and emotional development.
- Tools for parents to help their children manage the physical and emotional changes they are experiencing.
- Role play exercises for parents to practice having complex conversations with their children.
- Discussion of consent: how to empower your children to define their physical boundaries and respect the boundaries of others.
The workshops are run by Mary Pat Draddy, LMSW and Dynamo Girl Outreach Director, and a variety of health and sex educators in the New York area.